2017 Partner Summit
November 7-9 2017
The annual Alliance Partner Summit will begin with an evening reception at 7 pm on Tuesday, November 7 and end at noon on Thursday, November 9.
This page will be updated as sessions are confirmed.
Dr. Manuel Pastor
Professor of Sociology and American Studies & Ethnicity at the University of Southern California Director of the USC Program for Environmental and Regional Equity, and Center for the Study of Immigrant Integration
Dr. Pastor’s research focuses on movement building and the economic, environmental, and social conditions facing low-income communities. He writes and speaks widely on issues including demographic change, economic inequality, and community empowerment. Dr. Pastor was the founding director of the Center for Justice, Tolerance, and Community at the University of California, Santa Cruz and is the inaugural holder of the Turpanjian Chair in Civil Society and Social Change at USC. He holds an economics Ph.D. from the University of Massachusetts, Amherst.
OTHER CONFIRMED SPEAKERS
Ellen Bravo, Family Values @ Work
Ellen Bravo directs a network of coalitions in 25 states working for policies such as paid sick days and family and medical leave insurance. She served on the bipartisan Commission on Leave appointed by Congress to study the impact of the Family and Medical Leave Act. Among her commendations is a Ford Foundation Visionary award.
Avo Makdessian, Silicon Valley Community Foundation
As vice president and director of Silicon Valley Community Foundation’s Center for Early Learning, Avo is a member of SVCF’s leadership team and oversees the Center’s efforts in providing up-to-date research, state and local initiatives, and policy advocacy on pressing issues facing young children and their families.
SESSION TOPICS INCLUDE:
- Strategies to strengthen the early care and education workforce
- Equity and early childhood advocacy
- Addressing suspensions and expulsions in early care and education
- Gubernatorial races as opportunities for early childhood advocacy
- Advancing paid family leave policies
- Restoring and protecting safety net programs and policies
- Building political momentum around Adverse Childhood Experiences
- Supporting infants and toddlers through Medicaid
- And others!
PRE- / POST- SUMMIT EVENTS:
In addition, a number of pre- and post-Summit gatherings have been organized. If you are part of the groups below, please note the meeting times and make your travel arrangements accordingly.
- Engaging Philanthropy – November 7, 11am – 1pm (Contact: Lisa Klein)
- Home Visiting Community of Practice – November 7, 1pm – 5pm (Contact: Mimi Aledo-Sandoval)
- Alliance National Partners on the ECE Profession – November 7, 2pm – 5pm (Contact: Albert Wat)
- Pre-K Advocacy Learning Community – November 9, 12:30pm – 3pm (Contact: Albert Wat)
Participation at the Alliance Partner Summit is by invitation only.